I’ve been quite prolific this past week. As you already know, I’ve frogged Icarus and began the daunting task of re-knitting it. I’m almost back to the point where I ripped it. Here’s a progress pic:)
Of course, I was getting bored with it. So last week I started CROCHETING!!! I couldn’t believe it. Now, I’ve been known to pick up a crochet hook but it’s been about a year since I’ve done that. But when I was at the sale at Bonita Knitting last week and saw a sample of the Fat Bottom Bag from the Happy Hooker made of Berroco Suede, I couldn’t help myself. I started crocheting away and was done by Wednesday of last week. I should have taken a picture of it but it’s at my Aunt’s house right now. She’s sewing a lining in and putting the handles on for me. How lucky am I to have her here doing my finishing! But unfortunately, she’s just here visiting. I’ll have to give her everything I have to finish:)
But… I digress. Back to the “On the toes” part of my title. I finally figured out how to cast on for Toe Up Socks. I had to start over a few times but it looks good now. The second sock will probably be even better. I used the Eastern cast on method and 2×2 ribbing. I am loosely following Ann Budd’s guide for toe up socks in the Summer 2007 Interweave Knits. Go check it out if you’re having trouble with Toe up socks. If you have questions, let me know. I might be able to help. I was sooo elated once I got past the toe part. here’s a pic for you to see my progress. It’s knit out of On Your Toes bamboo from The Grove.
Until next time:)
I’ve been knitting Icarus as my only project for about a month now. It was going well. I’d make a mistake here and there because it’s so dang boring. k2 together, yo, knit 7, skpo. That’s all I did for about 3.5 weeks. Then chart 2 came along. It came and went with a few mistakes. I actually was way off on the stitch count for the first row. I think I had 7 stitches too many. That was corrected with some strategic decreasing. Then I realized that my stitch count was actually right on the next right sided row. Gosh… so I had to add them back in. This was the start of my denial. I kept compensating for little mistakes. Then chart 3 was started last Friday. I was doing so many decreases and increases to compensate for my incorrect stitch count. Ugh…
So I brought Icarus with me to my knitting group on Saturday. The day started out wonderful. Nice and sunny. Great company. I knitted on Icarus for about 2 hours. Then I looked at the shawl. A really good look. Ack! The lace was not lining up! I mourned for about 5 minutes and made the decision to frog it. I got a few protests from the group. But I stood my ground. Denial is an ugly thing and I’ve said it before. There were too many mistakes for me to be happy with this. I didn’t want my wedding shawl to start my married life with that many mistakes. Lisa told me that she knits everything with at least one mistake. Another woman told me that I shouldn’t hold this project to too high of a standard or it would freak Matt out. He’d think that he’d have to be perfect and marriage isn’t always perfect. I listened to everyone’s opinion and started to frog it. This was very unpopular and a few women left… I wonder if it was because they couldn’t stand to see 500+ rows of lace weight knitting go poof in 15 minutes.
So, I was going to take a break from Icarus but decided to keep on going. If I stopped, I might never pick it up again. So since the pattern is so familiar, I’m trucking thru it. I’m on the 2nd repeat of the stockinette pattern. Yeah!!!!
So… lesson learned, use lifelines once I get thru the main repeats. Rip your work back and pay attention to the stitch count. It WILL come back to bite you in the butt later.